Sunset is always too beautiful too miss. This lovely scenery of the nature deserves to be appreciated more in a form of art. Now, grab your watercolor painting set and be ready to make a masterpiece by painting sunset clouds. You’ve got the complete tutorial below:
- No 6 Isabey Mop
- Arches Rough Press with the size of 9” x 12”
- Paints with these following colors:
- Quinacridone in red and rust shades
- Nickel Azo in yellow shade
- Cobalt in blue, violet, and teal shades
- Ultramarine blue
- To start, wash the background colors of your painting. Make the layer subtle and pale as you will need to give other layers and washes later on.
- Next, add some clear and deep blue. What you need to do is keep layering the painting. But now, make the blue sky visible thru the storm. Let the painting dry before you add other layers.
- Next, paint the clouds at the left corner of the page. Make it threatening and dark by mixing ultramarine blue and cobalt violet in a rich mixture. Form the cloud by giving some washes to the page.
- Then, continue painting the cloud at the right corner of your page. Now, make softer cloud instead. This kind of cloud will create a beautiful frame to the glowing sky. To paint the right clouds, paint the edges in blue and use lighter pigments. To create more atmospheric effect to the clouds, form different layers to the painting.
- Next, paint the tree line in a distant and the opposite of the lake. To paint it, bleed the quinacridone in rust shade. Using the same shade, make the storm a bit duller and deeper.
- Next, take your cobalt teal in some dashes only to create calcareous sky blue. Maintain the soft and wispy edge of your clouds and beware of your edges!
- Now you can see that the colors start to mingle with each other. The left cloud is slowly moving back from the distance to the bottom edge’s flat darks. At the horizon, you can also see the tiny wispy clouds. What you need to do now is to add more details to make round some clouds’ edges by giving them drybrush.
- To finish your painting, give a few more details to the tree line and the lake in the distant my putting strong darks. In this step, you need to be careful not to make the lake too light or too dark but brightly contrasting enough for the reflections. Finally, make your dramatic clouds along with the sky as the focus of your painting.